Prior to reading the article, I admit I was skeptical about the benefit of incorporating math history in the classroom. I figured that math was a fairly rigid subject that could be taught and motivated without historical context. I assumed that there was already so little time in a class to cover all the relevant concepts that it would be difficult to spend a significant amount of time on the historical aspects as well, and that this side of math might bore some students that would otherwise just enjoy learning the concepts. The article ended up addressing both of these qualms, which I appreciated.
I enjoyed the article's explanation of how adding historical background to certain topics in math could act as a motivator for students. A common question students will ask is "when will I use this information in the real world?" Like is described in the article, I think it would be powerful to be able to point to the specific origins of some of these concepts to show students the possible benefits of learning the material. In addition, I agree that it could be very useful to pull back the curtain on some areas of math and how this information arises. Prior to university, the subject of math always felt like a bit of a black box to me in that I didn't know where certain formulas came from or how one would possibly go about proving them. I think it would be helpful for students to at least get an idea of what the process of discovering new math looks like to make the subject less mysterious. As the article mentions, it could also make the subject more inviting to learn that the process of finding these results is often much, much messier than the presentation of the results in a classroom.
Reading the article has made me reflect on the importance of historical context on math and how it can be used as a motivator to aid the learning of students. I agree that the history of math belongs in a math classroom, and I hope to be able to share some of the many interesting stories from math history with my students where it would benefit the class. More generally, it has also made me think more critically about how I can best inspire students to think about where the math I teach in a classroom comes from, and how they can use these ideas to tackle interesting problems they find outside of class.
I appreciate how honestly you shared your initial skepticism and then described how the article addressed your concerns. You did an excellent job connecting the reading to common classroom questions (“when will I use this?”) and to your own past experience of math as a “black box.” These reflections show growth and openness to new approaches.
ReplyDeleteSuggestion: To push your reflection further, you could add one specific example of a math concept you might teach with a historical story or context. This would make your ideas more concrete and directly applicable to your future teaching.